Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Ten Bucks and a Bottle of Whiskey

“What you got?”

“Ten bucks and a bottle of whiskey.”

“You can leave the whiskey with me. The ten bucks you will need over there.I am supposed to ask you if you realize what you are getting yourself into, but by the looks of you I would say that you already know. Go on.”

“Thank you.”

Dexter Posh opened the door that led to a closet sized office. A man in glasses and a charcoal grey suit ushered him to sit in the opposing chair.

“I assume you have something for me?”

“I was told the going rate was ten dollars and a tip for the door man.”

“What did you bring him?”

“A bottle of whiskey.”

The man in glasses nodded. He leaned back in his chair. He glanced up at the single light bulb hanging over his desk for a moment then back at Dexter.

“You realize that the service we are providing here is not assisted suicide. We merely provide guidance to those who need help in ensuring a smooth process.”

“I understand”

“Good. Now explain to me why you want to do this?”

“I’m tired of helping people and not getting any reward for it.”

“But that is the way the world works.”

“That’s just it. Why bother putting all your time and effort into it when people are going to ruin everything anyway?”

“That is why they need you.”

“I think it would be worthwhile for all of us if we stopped helping them. Let them fend for themselves.”

“They would die. And that would create a whole other problem for us.”

“I suppose.”

“Maybe all you need is a nice vacation.”

“It wouldn’t help. Look I gave you my ten dollars, now do I have your cooperation or not?”

“You understand why we provide this service?”

“Yes.”

“I have convinced many others like you against taking such drastic actions.”

“You’re not convincing me of anything. I want out.”

“You realize that you will, in the future, be adding to the problem? And you will be back.”

“It is no longer my problem and I won’t ask you for anything more. “

“Oh but when you're there, you will."

“I won’t be back. I’ll find a way to stop that.”

“That’s an interesting idea. I look forward to hearing all about it when you come back.”

“If we’re done, I think I’m ready now.”

“Good then you will need this.”

The man handed him a dark blue suit.

“Just put this on and you’ll be all set.”

Posh held the suit out, considering it a moment. He looked down at his own white robe, now frayed and graying.

“There is a restroom in there if you’ll feel more comfortable.”

The man gestured to a door to his left. Posh went into the restroom. He emerged wearing the suit.

“You are free to go.”

Posh opened the door to the office. He looked back at the man for some further indication, but the man’s face remained passive. Posh stepped out into the hall and closed the door behind him. He was instantly met by the stone cold glare of the door man.

“That way, Mr. Posh.”

The doorman gestured to a door at the far end of the hall.

Posh stepped slowly past the door man fearing some opposition but there was none. As Posh walked he began to feel that the hallway was getting longer and longer before him. Just when he was starting to wonder if he would ever reach the end, all at once the hallway shortened. Posh took one last look at his dark surroundings and opened the door.

Dexter Posh found himself standing on a busy street corner. He couldn’t immediately recognize which city he was in nor did he care. He already knew they were all the same anyway. He looked up at the sky. Up where they were. He felt victorious. Looking up there now, he no longer wondered what he was missing, but realized what he had lost when he left.

1 comment:

FighterPilot said...

yo J, cool story. i like how you get right into the story. i like the length of this story as well. for the message/story line that i think your looking to get across, it's perfect...no need to draw it out. however i'm actually a bit hazy as to what to take away from this. i read it twice but am still unsure as to what's entirely going on here. is the last line indicating that what posh needed wasn't really to escape life, but to get close to death in order to appreciate it...is this like "the greatest thing to illuminate our awareness/appreciation of life is a true awareness of death" kind of thinking?

also most of the story isn't written in a very abstract way, however the punchline/message of the story (to me) seems to be a tad abstract.

....anyway just some thoughts. thanks for sharing.

see ya,
A
ps. play squash.
pss. there seems to be one too many "that"'s in the 2nd last paragraph.